Monday, May 10, 2010

Millificent the Owl

So last week, I discovered that we had a baby owl in our shrubs right next to our screened in porch. Well she's been there everyday since! She leaves at night to hunt, but every morning she's back in her spot. At first we named her Godric but then discovered she was a girl, so we changed her name to Millificent.

How do we know she's girl? The males sit in higher trees and hoot all day. The females just screech every now and then. She is so freaking cute! The other I was looking for her after I got home from work and she was sitting right on the railing of our deck. She let me get about two inches from her face with my camera. I hope she stays for a long time!





btw- she's a great horned owl.

8 comments:

Sarah Knight said...

That is both awesome and adorable!

[eeny] said...

Wow, how cool is that? Didn't know owls would let you get that close. Great pics by the way.

Victoria Bennett Beyer said...

That is SO awesome! She seems to like you, letting you get that close.

Kelly Leigh said...

wow I can't believe how close you got to her! She is beautiful. You're very lucky. I hope she hangs out on your deck for a long time!

Lulu said...

this is so incredibly adorable! how lucky! =]

Every Little Counts said...

oh my gosh... you got so close! she's so adorable!

Cait said...

Wow! That is the cutest thing, and Millificent is a great name, haha. Keep us updated!

lesapeamusings.blogspot said...

She is the cutest thang, she looks both regal and adorable.I hope she is pregnant.